About the TLTF programme
The Trust makes grants available to certain Colleges to encourage them to elect young postdoctoral researchers to Time-Limited Teaching Fellowships. Up to 30 Newton TLTF appointments are in post at any one time. The Trust pays the College up to £5,000 per annum toward the overheads involved.
The scheme aims to strengthen the undergraduate supervision system at these Colleges, thereby helping to produce a more even playing field across the Colleges. It is also a means of helping to integrate some of the many postdoctoral researchers in Cambridge into College life and give them experience of small-group teaching.
Application round 2016
Closing date: 24 June 2016
The Director writes to the Heads of House and Senior Tutors of eligible Colleges in May/June to advise them of the application details.
Terms and Conditions
The conditions attaching to the award of a grant by the Newton Trust towards Time-Limited Teaching Fellowships are:
- the individual should be elected to a Teaching Fellowship at a College within three years of beginning a post-doctoral career;
- (s)he should undertake at least four hours per week of supervision (ie 80 hours per annum);
- the sum paid by the Trust will be reduced pro-rata in the event that fewer than 80 hours' supervision are undertaken over the course of the academic year;
- a TLTF grant starts in October and may be renewed for up to four years in all, providing:
- (s)he continues to hold their present post-doctoral position;
- (s)he continues to hold their Fellowship.